Note to the Reader: I've always wanted to have my own love/relationship/sex column like Carrie Bradshaw and this is my attempt at writing a Sex in the City type column. Let's love lots and have fun with me! :) What should I call my column? And thank you to all my wise family and friends who have supported me, shared their love, their stories, and gave their advice to me through my adventures of "dating" and finding the love of my life.
My book review: Ok, here's the real deal. This book can be harsh, obvious and even silly, but it is an enjoyable light read and there are a lot of good tips you can and should use, when applicable. AND, it gives both the guy and girl perspective, well-balanced and funny. I was dating someone I liked when I first read it and my reaction was, "OMG, they're totally describing my guy!" But, of course, I liked the guy and didn't want to believe that any of it applied to my situation. Well, now it's been 8 months of being single, "dating" and I've learned many lessons after reading this book and watching the movie. So, this post is a summary of my real live dating experiences in connection to the book He's Just Not That Into You, a personal journal entry for myself, and perhaps can offer a few wise tips for smart dating to minimize negative impact on el corazoncito. ***note: I know I'm risking a lot with past and current men I may be so-called "dating" and my future prospects but if it offends you, I'm sorry, it's not meant to. Also, I'm not scared because whoever loves me will love me for all that I am (and will see the love, humor, honesty and self-reflection in this post, even after they read this). Period.
My movie review: 4.5/5 stars, but then again, I love light-hearted romantic comedy chick flicks and I'm not ashamed to say it. So, go see it with your girlfriends or take your girl out. I promise you you'll get a good laugh. Just take it for what it is and you won't be disappointed. Plus, there are a lot of famous actors and it's a Drew Barrymore-produced film. Who doesn't love Drew Barrymore? :)
My dating credibility: I'm not an expert by any means, but I've been around the block...a few times. I've gotten out of a 3.5 year relationship earlier this year and even though I didn't want to date and don't even know what dating means, I somehow ended up "dating" several guys the last 8 months and still attempting it. Wish me luck! I'm also keeping an open mind about eHarmony and had membership for several months now, though I admit I'm not a very active member and haven't actually gone out on any dates yet. Nevertheless, it's a different approach, gives me more options, time-efficient, and it can't hurt, right? (except my bank account, but what's money if I find true love?)
My dating review of the last 8 months: It has surely been lots of fun and excitement (well, maybe not for my friends who went through it all with me), but also daunting and unfortunately led to some heartache. It's all part of life, enjoying both the sunny days and the cloudy days for what they are. Some days I struggle but ultimately I know that I've met wonderful new people: male and female, shared love, laughter, conversations, chilled, danced, shared the love of art, food, culture, photography, music, pool, camping, biking, and all things Austin. I truly believe there's a reason why people connect in life. And every person that comes into my life are special to me! So through the happiness and heartaches this past year, I've learned quite a bit about men and dating, but more importantly, a lot about who I am and what I'm looking for. I've learned from my experiences, my mistakes, this book, and from consulting with friends (male, female, single, married, gay...the whole shabbam). I always do my research and have to have a well-balanced perspective on things. In reflection of my love life in 2009, I think I've learned a few things that I want to share with you before the year is over, ladies and gents alike.
Dating tips for the ladies:
Tip #1. You can show interest, but definitely let him pursue you. How else would you REALLY know he's into you if you do all the work? I know, I'm one of those confident modern-day gals that likes to go after the guys I like, and it works most of the time, but it leaves you not really knowing if he would have pursued you if you didn't or you end up in a relationship where you love him more than he loves you. And in the long run, it doesn't work.
Tip #2. Go slow and be patient. This means don't reveal everything about yourself so fast, don't get physical right away, and don't always be available. Holding hands, hugs, kisses, and snuggling are all good but hold off on the sex until you really get to know someone and they get to know you. I have such a hard time with this one. I'm patient everywhere else but impatient when it comes to love and I'm really comfortable being open about myself. We women like to talk and share a lot but this can be overload for a guy in the beginning. Guys don't know how to take in all that information and what to make of you. Unfortunately, sometimes they can make judgments about you that are not accurate but that is because they haven't the chance to really get to know you and understand you yet. About the sex part, don't mistake me for being old-school because believe me, I'm planets away from traditional. But, as women, we have to admit that most of us can get emotionally attached when we have sex with someone. Who wouldn't? We're not built like men. It is a very intimate thing to share with someone and unless you're a sex fiend like Samantha from Sex in the City, it is extremely difficult to separate mind (or heart in this case) and body.
Tip #3. Friends first and foremost. After all this time and having never had a relationship that started out as friends first, I realize now how important it is to build a solid friendship before getting hot and heavy in a relationship. Like they say, marriage without friendship is like building a house on sand. It's so true! If there's no foundation, it's bound to fall. I'm not married yet, but I can only imagine how a marriage can fall apart if you don't have a good friendship. That said, I know in reality it doesn't happen that way. Physical chemistry gets the best of us and it's what often happens first. It's the "butterflies in my stomach" feeling when we're instantly attracted to someone. We've all been there and done that. But, when you ask yourself how many of those relationships worked, I'm willing to bet they didn't last too long. When I look back at my relationship record, I have to admit that 4.75 out of 5 started off with physical attraction. And don't get me wrong, because I'll be the first to raise my hand and say that physical attraction and sexual chemistry with someone is very important. But sometimes friendships stay friendships or relationships become friendships. In any case, friendships can blossom and are always a blessing because friends are what makes life beautiful and worthwhile. I know I couldn't live without my friends. It's not easy, but that's why you go back to tip #2! Go slow and be patient.
The bottom line is: If there's any uncertainty, he's just not ready. When he's ready, he will show it and you will know it! Or maybe you're also not ready. It may not be the right time. I really believe in the physics of time and how it factors into relationships. Sometimes you just know. And sometimes it happens really slow. I've yet to experience any of this, but I've witnessed it dozens of times with friends and I would swear by it. For example, my new favorite Indian couple friends that I have the honor of doing her wedding henna for. Congratulations!
Dating tips for the guys: (this part is easy!)
Tip #1. If you like her, go after her. It's flattering when someone shows interest in us. Just be polite, sweet, and genuine.
Tip #2. If you just want to get in her pants, be honest about it and make that crystal clear. Sometimes we're ok with that and sometimes we're not. If you're lucky, then you'll get the "we're ok with that" girl and you won't have to deal with the messiness later. It's that simple.
Tip #3. If you don't want to continue dating her or being in a relationship with her, just be honest and respectful. I know you don't want to hurt our feelings, but we can handle the truth if it's done respectfully and sincerely. Communication is key.
Disclaimer: La Pham Nikita is not responsible for any dating disasters or broken hearts (and I'm so sorry, it sucks) but please let me know if you used my tips and found true love. That would be so lovely to know! Now I just need to use my own advice....
***note to all the boys I've loved before: Always my love, peace, and friendship. :)
To all my single lady friends, let's have fun together and share a funny story with me. :)
Niki,
ReplyDeleteVery wise words! Your search for love has been a long, winding path and has not been void of pebbles, rock, and sometimes even boulders. But your beauty shines through as you approach each hurdle as an opportunity to learn about and improve upon yourself. It's one of your best qualities and keeps you emotionally available for when Mr. Right chooses to enter the scene! (I have a strong feeling that he will be worth the wait!)
Your tips are spot-on. Give the guy the space to show that he's into you. Those who are emotionally ready won't be scared to actively pursue and show that they're interested. And go slow. Often the best things in life come only with patience.
From my personal experience, I believe that a friendship can grow out of a relationship. In fact, sometimes, it's more awkward and difficult to add romance into a solid friendship than to get to know each other better through dating.
You're a beautiful person, Niki, and you attract amazing people around you because of that. I think I can safely speak for your huge fan club that we're all supporting you and CAN'T wait until you find true love! We'll be with you every step of the way.
Sara, how is it that you write the best and sweetest things and it comforts me and supports me in a way that no one else can. Thank you for being with me every step of the way. You're the best!
ReplyDeleteI really like the way you write I figure you need to know it , I loove sex and the city too,and I can't wait to watch the upcoming movie! well I have some experience to share. many things you write as so true.But the best advice I think is your own experience ! we all need to fail in order to learn is part of the process, correct your own mistakes and focus in what you want and go for it .I think you will notice that you found the love of your life when this person takes out the best of you instead of the worst! and when you feel confortable being just yourself ,thats is why I dont believe in the theory that ''opposites attract each other'' ,in contrast I think we should find someone with a similar personality .I think everybody is exciting in our own way. good luck finding love !
ReplyDeleteJenny, thank you so much for your comment! I totally agree with you that the person who's right for me will be the one that brings out my best and who I am completely myself with and he totally loves and embraces all of me. It's so simple yet it's taken me a while to truly understand what this means and looks like in reality. I'm still dating intensely and the more I do this and meet different types of people, the more I see how this plays out and the more I learn about myself. I hope you have found true love and happiness...and if not yet, then good luck to the both of us! It's been so much fun dating and I can't wait to see the second movie too!!! Happy lovin'!!
ReplyDeleteDear Niki,Im sure you'll meet Mr right
ReplyDelete.you said you got out from a 3.5 year relationship a year ago,I had the same some time ago and know exactly how that feels. as you described in the blog i had many mistakes since the very beginning i met a handsome guy I liked since I saw him ,then sex came too early , i got emotionally attached,and in 2 seconds I was in love. at the beginning i found him adorable and wanted to be with him no matter what,I got to know him better,and realized we were completely different,despite my friends telling me to break up with him,i couldn't cause I loved him,and he didn't break up with me cause he felt sorry for me and did not want to hurt me.we spent 4 years together but our relationship was on and off very predictable to end at any time.after our break up, i spent time by myself going out with friends and meeting new people.one year after, at the moment and place less expected I met my husband, we met in a train in france, kinda crazy.Im happier than ever I feel interesting,smart,somebody cool to discuss any topic and pretty! sorry for my english im from spain,and love to read what others have to share in words..how is your story probably less drama than mine,I was reading your blog and realized all of this happend to me .
god bless you .
Hi Jenny!! thanks so much for sharing your story. It sounds very much like mine. It started off really fast and intense and I was in a relationship before I really knew him. Actually, it was a lot of drama and all my friends and family advised me against it but I was too stubborn to listen. We both knew we shouldn't have been in it but I was already emotionally attached and committed that I couldn't rationally get myself out for my own good. Eventually, he ended and it was the best thing that could have happened to me. As I've been dating, I'm learning so much more about who I am, what I want, and what's really important. there were things that I thought weren't important but now I realize is so important and vice versa. It's so interesting to me that even when I thought I knew what I wanted, I just keep surprising myself. Everyone says how you will meet that person when you least expect it and there's nothing more sweet than meeting your husband on a train in France. Oh la la! I changed my attitude too about dating and have been trying to be less serious and just have fun meeting new people and enjoy the time that I am single while it lasts. It takes the pressure and anxiety off a lot. btw, your English is excellent. :)
ReplyDeleteoh wow ! we women have lots of similar stories to share :)..your story was similar than mine, everybody around me will tell me come on you are an inteligent girl break up with him now ,but when we are in love it seem our brain shuts down and only our heart thinks and speaks for us,glad you overcame with it.Let me tell you,you seem a very smart woman ,I liked the post about recycling I know it is not that a big of a concern in some parts of the US but its good that people are starting to realize how important is to take care of our own environment,so the bags are a cool and smart idea,I veen to Miami and Orlando I was amazed how many bags people give away for small items. Also in South America,when I went to Argentina,Brazil and Peru ,the same nobody has a clue of recycling specially in supermarkets,and the trash is not selected either,they the world needs a recycling culture for our wellbe and our planet will be thankful .
ReplyDeleteyou also paint,and make henna tatoos ( they are big in Moroco and India) plus the fact you write very nice,you are all an artsy person,thats very intersting .Art requires creativity ,patience and dedication and whoever spends time on it deserves the biggest admiration . I dont do art but I admire it .
thank you so much for your blog contribution,your art work and for inspiring people to recycle.
warm regards from Spain!
Dear Jenny,
ReplyDeleteSorry for taking so long to respond to you. I've been busy lately and I forgot I hadn't responded yet. You are so right about our stories. My theory about smart women who stay in relationships longer than they know they should is because smart women also have big hearts. I find that for myself and other women I know that were in similar situations were very committed and loyal. We follow our hearts, no matter what our brain tells us and no matter how smart we are. Love is not about being smart because it's doesn't involve the brain, it's the heart. I guess that's all there is to it.
And thanks for enjoying my recycling post and the henna peacock bags. I have been spending the last few weeks trying to paint and focus on my art and you're right, it takes a lot of patience and dedication. It can be very challenging at times but when you do it, it is so relaxing and rewarding. I'm sure you do art but in your own way. Any one can make art and be creative. You know the Pixar film, "Ratatouille"? Like the French chef says, "Any one can cook." Cooking is an art as and I think that's the same way about doing other artistic activities. there's an artist in all of us bc we all have imaginations and art is just an expression of our imaginations.
If you have a moment to vote for my henna peacock bags http://contestvote.greenforall.org/images/freehand-henna-peacock
and also take my "dating" survey.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/M66YK8K
I would appreciate it very much!!
Love and Peace from Texas to Spain!!!
Hey Niki - you've got some hard-earned words of wisdom here - some very good dating advice & a fun blog! You've got a lot to offer and a big heart - that's why it's so important that you give it to the right man!
ReplyDeleteHey Coral!!!
ReplyDeleteSo nice to see you on my blog and thanks for your comment!! now I've got both the Wilson sisters! Woohoo!!
I know...i've learned alot about dating and only now have I realized how important it is to give it to the right man!! :)
thanks for taking a time to respond . I read the new blogs about the guy you gave a ride so exciting ,and also your new painting defintely impressive . your words are full wisdom , everything is possible . I couldnt submit my vote and but Im about to fill your dating survey:).just want to tell you dont stop writting . cause you have more than one waiting for one next post . warm regards from a cold Spain to US .
ReplyDelete